Saturday, December 10, 2011

How do I delete from the list of desktop backgrounds on my computer?

How do I delete a specific desktop background from the list under 'display properties' on the control panel section 'appearance and themes?' I'm running XP Professional and somehow this bad pic showed up in my system and I am unable to delete it.|||First get a program called Eraser from here:





http://www.heidi.ie/node/6





Once installed and configured to the strongest setting, you can find the file by doing the search for it as described in another answer here. Simply right-click on the file and select Erase and allow the program to overwrite the picture/data up to 35 times with ones and zeros to permenantly scramble it on your hard drive making it quite difficult to find even with sophisticated forensics equipment. Notice I said "quite difficult" NOT impossible.





If you simply "delete" in the usual way the picture/data it will still be able to be EASILY retrieved by such forensics equipment.





I hope this helps. Good Luck!|||The name in the list is the beginning of the file name in your system.





Use search to look for %26lt;picturename%26gt;.* and then delete it.





Most likely you'll find it in your c:\windows folder.|||try c:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper.





if not there, Start%26gt; Search%26gt; All files and folders%26gt; the name of the file%26gt; also select Search hidden files and folders.

No comments:

Post a Comment